How to Measure Windows for Curtains and Valances
For curtain panels or valances with a pocket for gathering or shirring onto a curtain rod.
To determine Width of Curtain or Valance:
Width of Window x ( 2 or 3 ) ÷ Width of Window Treatment = Quantity to Order.
- Measure the width of each window you plan to decorate.
Important Note Measure each window separately because not all windows are the same.
- Round measurement to the nearest inch and multiply by 2 or 3, depending on the desired amount of gathering (fullness) you want.
- Divide this number by the width of the curtain pair, panel, or valance to determine how many to purchase. Round to the nearest whole number.
To Determine Length of Curtain:
- Measurement is from the top of the rod, unless otherwise stated.
- Popular Curtain Lengths:
63 inches - hangs to windowsill on most windows
84 inches - hangs to floor on most windows
95 inches - for use on taller windows or to puddle on the floor
- Move rod up or down to adjust for the length of the Curtain Panel.
for more information on curtain styles.