Care and Use Chart for Outdoor Accents
An Outdoor Care Type is listed in the Details tab on the product page for each outdoor item. Find the Care Type below for recommendations on where to use the product and how to care for it so that you can enjoy your purchase for many seasons to come.
OUTDOOR YEAR-ROUND Level 1
Where it can be used: Can be left outdoors year-round. Will withstand extreme temperatures.
Care Instructions: To clean, gentle wash with a clean, soft cloth and a mild detergent followed by a clear water rinse. Shorea wood should be regularly oiled with a quality hardwood treatment oil to maintain its nourishment. The wood should be oiled at least twice a year and in full exposure areas, more oiling may be necessary. For powder coated finishes, avoid contact with nail polish, paint or lacquer thinner, motor oils, transmission and brake fluids, or parts cleaning fluids. Cover, if possible, in inclement winter weather conditions. Coir doormats may be swept with a broom. Rubber doormats may be rinsed off with a garden hose.
OUTDOOR SEASONAL Level 2
Where it can be used: Can be used outdoors in most seasons. Do not expose to freezing temperatures.
Care Instructions for :
- Resin or Stonecast Accents: While our resin and stonecast accents (fountains, statuary, etc.) that are marked for outdoor use are both weather-resistant and durable, special care must still be taken to protect them from inclement winter weather conditions. Rain and snow, combined with cold temperatures, have a tendency to cause expansion, contraction, and possible cracking in these accents. Exposure to direct sunlight may fade accents. Therefore, we recommend the following measures to safeguard your outdoor decor investments: Cover all accents that are painted in order to protect the finish. Accents with areas that can collect water, such as sculptures, should be covered. Accents that are elevated on a ledge, pedestal, table, etc. should be lowered to prevent them from being toppled and damaged during high winds. If possible, we strongly recommend moving portable sculptures to indoor storage or at least a covered structure during the worst of the season's weather.
- Care Instructions for Copper Accents: Finish will turn to a beautiful patina over time. Copper naturally oxidizes. To keep the copper hue, use a copper cleaner to remove the patina and dirt, then rinse with water. Apply a copper polish to keep the shiny appearance.
- Care Instructions for Water Fountains: Make sure that all fountain basins are drained before cold weather sets in. Remove any drain plugs. Pack the basin with an absorbent material and cover it with plastic sheeting to protect from condensation damage. Do not use antifreeze in your fountains. If possible, we strongly recommend moving the fountains to indoor storage or at least a covered structure during the worst of the season's weather.
- Care Instructions for Polypropylene Rugs: If used outdoors, rugs may be cleaned with a garden hose. Vacuum regularly. Hose off for cleaning and air dry in the sun; for stubborn stains, professionally clean. An outdoor rug pad will increase the life of the rug. Store indoors during the winter.
- Care Instructions for Outdoor Wall Art: To clean, use a sponge, damp cloth, or light mist from a garden hose. Outdoor art will weather naturally. To protect your artwork, outdoor canvases should be moved inside during freezing temperatures and winter weather.
INDOOR/OUTDOOR LIMITED OUTDOOR USE Level 3
Where it can be used: Limited outdoor use. Use outdoors on a covered porch or patio. Normal indoor use.
Care Instructions: For use under covered patio, no direct sunlight, or exposure to the elements (wind or rain). We strongly recommend moving accents to indoor storage or at least a covered structure during the worst of the season's weather.